Saturday, July 30, 2005

Heading into the Sunrise...

Well... I've made another step in my break with the past and my launch out into the future. I booked my flight - my ONE WAY flight - to New Orleans for bright and early Friday morning.

Ths flight on Southwest Airlines leaves the Oakland Airport at 8:10 am. Not really that horrible a time to be flying except for the fact that to get through all the bullshit proceedures and get my coveted A ticket I have to be there by at least 6:00. I've a great temptation to try and push my luck and take the Airporter from Petaluma that doesn't reach the airport until 7:30, but I probably don't have the ultimate daring to pull that off. So, my alternative is to get up at 3:15 am to make an Airporter that leaves at 3:45 so I can wait for 3 hours to board my flight. I've made this trip many times, and every time I make it, I swear to the gods that I am not going to do it again, but then it comes up on my flight ordering screen and I think about the price and I think about the fact that it puts me into New Orleans in time to make it to the Satchmo Summerfest Club Strut that evening, and well... I just can't resist. So, for one last time, I will make the trek to Oakland, sit and listen to my iTunes for three hours, and board that bird as it heads into the sunrise bound for the Big Easy.

Frankly, it's beginning to feel all a little crazy. That "what the hell am I doing" feeling has begun to creep into the back of my mind on a fairly regular basis. But at the same time, I am finnding a lift of spirit and a playfulness of heart that I have not felt in years and years and years.

It's time to go. One week from now I will have been a resident of New Orleans for 24 hours.

No comments: