Monday, June 11, 2007

Hold On To Your Life


I am not generally inclined to find worldly wisdom from Madonna, but this message from the synchronicity of iTunes was particularly interesting and helpful on this Monday morning as I begin my second week in California.

I am starting this week with my standard reaction to spending an evening watching the Tony awards. As usual, my experience of the program was a sort of call to action for my subconscious. I long for greater creativity, clarity and action. I long for a fuller experience of really being alive. I long for meaning and metaphor. I long for hope and the possibility of greatness… And I feel, not all the time but often, like time is running out.

Then the concluding note of my synchronistic hat-trick came when I started the browser on my computer and got this picture/story from Storypeople, and I take great comfort in the fact that I really do believe that there is indeed enough time for “the important things” in my life.

So… on this sunny Monday on the West Coast I sit down at this desk to recommit myself to those things that I care about. It's time to, once again... hold on to my life. How this plays out with the other half of that coin - the perspective of Jesus that if you lose your life you will find it - is something that I am wrestling with at the moment. My hunch is that it has something to do with the kind of of yin-yang balance that seems to be the key to almost everything.

Perhaps it isn't possible to actually hold on to your life unless you hold it lightly.

No comments: