Monday, October 23, 2006

Just When I Thought It Was Safe...

Saturday started out with so much beauty that it was almost excruciating to behold. The sun was shining, the sky was clear; I had to go to The City for work, so I decided to take the long way around and go down Highway 1 through Stinson Beach, up over Mt. Tam and through Sausalito. By the time I got into San Francisco I still hadn't gotten the day out of my system, so I decided to make a stop for lunch at Memphis Minnie's in the "Lower Haight" (what used to be called The Fillmore when I used to live and work in the neighborhood).

I parked my car on Fillmore and went for a walk around the block, past the old Fillmore Baptist Center where I was a seminary intern, down the block of Haight where I used to get PoBoys and have a beer at Toronado. When I returned to my car (or more accurately where I had left my car), I discovered that someone else had decided that it was a good day for a drive as well.

A drive in my car... with my computer in the trunk.

I spent the rest of the day looking to see if I could find the car and then ultimately reporting it stolen at Northern Police Station. Then I caught the bus back to Petaluma and finished off the day trying to be sprightly and partyish at my friend's big fundraising Halloween Party at The Phoenix Theater in Petaluma.

As I write this now, it crosses my mind that spending the evening in a place called The Phoenix might be just exactly the right thing.

I've got to start RISING out of the ashes sooner or later... I really don't have anything left to lose.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't let the bastards get ya down

Anonymous said...

dude, where's your car?

Anonymous said...

there are no words...isn't there a koan about a barn burning down? can you see the moon? I am so sorry...I would love to fix it. e

Anonymous said...

ultimately you can't fix it because you can't control what others will do. You can only control what YOU do.

Anonymous said...

no argument there... just wishful thinking. And wondering what I can do. e

Anonymous said...

i think he should go surfing.

Anonymous said...

in hawaii.

Thom said...

Well... car's back... computer's gone.

I don't see much Hawaii on the horizon, that's for sure. But for "being here now," I'm doin' allright.