Friday, November 04, 2005

Living In the Digital Divide

I'm sending this post from Kinkos because my computer is still dead and I have not been able to get things squared away. At this point I am hoping and praying that when I finally get the machine fixed it doesn't wind up killing off the 60 gigs worth of stuff on the hard drive (most of which is not backed up), including ALL of my music (old cds I digitized before leaving California as well as approximately 100 downloads from iTunes) and a significant number of irreplacable audio files for stories I was working on for Blues Routes, FoodFetish, and PRX. I am even afraid of losing the great interview I had just completed with poet Stan Bemis; the very files I was on my way to load up online when the crash occured.

Despite all of this, I am choosing to simply hold everything lightly. I am choosing to smile, to laugh, to meditate and to remember the simple fact that I am HERE.

What's the worst case scenario? I lose everything on my computer and have to start over... The digital equivalent of what I seem to have been heading toward since I started this journey three months ago. It's kind of ironic, for the very things I am now in danger of losing are the last things - the only things - I was really concerned about saving. It seems that I better keep a better handle on my thoughts right now.

----

By the way... During this current digital breakdown, if you need (or want) to contact me, it's best to use my cell phone (knock on wood)... 707-235-5434.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm,seems I recall a conversation some time back that went this way,Betty said I like my PC, Tom said I like my Mac because Macs'don't crash Whats wrong with your computer????????Love Sis

Anonymous said...

The point of the conversation was Macs don't crash!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Seems to me not bright either, would rather have a broke computer and not be able to use it than one that is working pc or not????

Thom said...

Boys Boys... I'M the one with the broken computer!

Anonymous said...

boys huh, what is love sis a boy and then that means I have had many years of something that I thougth was something else I guess I will have to see a shink.

Anonymous said...

I thought that very thing when I read it but I decided not to respond this is Sis and I started this whole mess, and now I am referred to as a boy hmmm, things are worst than I thought

Anonymous said...

All over a comment about PC's and Macs