Thursday, April 27, 2006

And So It Begins...

Tonight I had my first night off in about a month. The last time I had any real time off at all, I went to a ball game on a Saturday afternoon in San Francisco, but after the game I went back to the office and spent the night working... that's not complaining... just putting things in context. This afternoon, I finished a big audio program I've been working on for weeks and delivered it to my clients, the Hotel Monteleone. If you ever stay there you'll have to ask to take the audio tour. It's great.. and it was fun to do, in that way that media production that consumes your attention for 48 hours straight is fun to do only to really sick people who like that kind of experience.

Next up is a whole series of projects that require the tying up of loose ends... yeah, Bruce I'm talking about you (and a couple of others as well), but for a mental break I went out on a limb tonight and mainlined some amazing music.

First off was the free concert in Lafayette Square downtown... tonight was Beausoleil, a Louisiana band of great renown and wonderful spirit... real cajun music that can do nothing but make you smile.

That was followed by four hours of music at the House of Blues courtesy of my kind and generous friend, Mary, who invited me to tag along on her guitar god night at HOB with Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani. I'm not typically your head banging guitar god kinda guy, but the last time I saw Joe we were both walking down a hallway at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley and it struck me (especially since my friend was offering me a free ticket) that it would be interesting to see what he's up to these days.

Just one word... sufficient for both guitarists... AMAZING. This was a wonderful show of high energy, crank it up rock and roll, but with an industrial sort of beauty, especially on certain songs by each artist, that reminded me of the way I react when I see an incredibly beautiful building. All that steel and wood and electricity transformed into poetry and heart.

It's the kind of thing that happens in New Orleans (not that I'm saying it doesn't happen anywhere else mind you), especially around Jazz Fest time... and the magic is on the way.

I have to admit, I keep looking over my shoulder for when the other shoe's gonna fall (or the other storm's gonna roll on in), but for now it's time to put some things together and the magic that occurs in The Crescent City at this time of year is unparalleled.

Here's hoping we can make the magic last.

No comments: