Thursday, August 17, 2006

Time Travel... There and Back Again

I've had the picture at left on my desktop for the past couple of weeks and it always brings a smile to my face. It's a picture of my daughter on a trip through Ireland that she and her sweetie made last spring.

What I see on the top of it all is the delight on her face and in her life in the midst of that beautiful country at a happy time in life.

What I see below the surface is four generations - well, really five - from my grandmother (and her parents even) who began in Ireland before making it across the ocean, through Canada, and New York City, and Philadelphia, and New York City again,and Miami... and on and on through my mom's life, my dad's life, my life, and now Jen's life lying out ahead of her.

It's all there in that one picture of Jen on the side of a lake in the Irish springtime.

After all the weird places I've been in the last year and the strange, sometimes very hard experiences I've had, I find a really great joy in looking back through time as I gaze at this picture... It reminds me of how everything moves forward... and how all of us move on.

That's something worth remembering a week away from my birthday and just 12 days away from the anniversary of The Thing.

4 comments:

Sean Nordquist said...

That's awesome...

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think a certain homemade surf vid contributed to the nostalgic mood too? Hoz

Thom said...

Awesome is exactly how I experience it. For once that word does not feel hyperbolic or overused.

As for the surf vid... ahhhh.... more nostalgia to come baby.

Anonymous said...

She's lovely! J.