Friday, December 15, 2006

A Place To Begin...

Okay... So I rose out of my bed this morning, awake and painfully aware; knowing that I have no money, knowing that most of my resources have disappeared, and ultimately knowing that I really know nothing at all. In the midst of this I rose up choosing to move forward with determination, and meaning... and glee.

Before I've even made coffee, I check my email (on the ancient iMac that I borrowed from a friend) to find that my friend E has sent me a bit of electronic encouragement for the day...

"Everyday, think as you wake up: Today I am fortunate to have woken up. I am alive. I have a precious human life. I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself to expand my heart out to others for the benefit of all beings."
-His Holines the XIV Dalai Lama


Stop and think about that for a minute. There is something very deep there. That fourth sentence in particular; His Holiness puts a real responsibility on the act of living in that one. "I am going to use ALL my energies to develop myself to expand my heart out to others FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL BEINGS." Damn... all I was worried about was how I was going to pay the rent on my office and buy a couple of Christmas presents for my kid!

It's going to be a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestions? One can only suggest what one knows, which is why this one always suggests the same f*ing thing!

Not that you ever take the advice (ahem) "onboard".

hoz

Thom said...

Well... not that it really matters anyway... but have you seen the frigging nocal surf report!?!

Anonymous said...

always with the excuses!

Anonymous said...

OK, perhaps you'll listen to Shaun Tomson more than me:

"There is always another wave. Just knowing that in life there will be a second chance. You don't have to grab at everything in front of you just like you don't have to grab at every wave that comes to you because another wave will always come through again. I think it also speaks to the fundamental optimism that I have about life. I think that it's an important component to leading a good life -- that there is going to be another wave out there. There's always something more. You can always find happiness again if you are in a tough place in life."

http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/
article.cfm?id=6517

http://www.surferscode.com/

Thom said...

okay... as they used to say when I was in church... "Now you've quit preachin' and gone to meddlin'."

You KNOW what comes next...!