Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Whole of the Moon

The morning in Northern California, where it's been incessantly bright and sunny over the last week, broke Irish grey and foggy just like it should be on St. Patrick's Day (at least that's how I expreience it in my imagination) but has since opened back up to the bright and shiney almost spring day that it is. The grass in my backyard is brilliant green (and way too long, but that's another story) and I am feeling elated.

My friend E sent me the card above and in the spirit of the day I am sending it out to you. I've spent the morning working on some new projects and compiling a 6 hour collection of Irish music (of all varieties, from Decklin McMannis with whom I share a birthday, to The Chieftains, to Sinead O'Conner, and The Waterboys).

My great wish for the day would be to spend next year in Ireland (as a "foreign born" citizen)... maybe even surfing on Achill Island, an island off the west coast that stands in the mist a sort of island Brigadoon (okay... so I'm mixing cultural metaphors here) that I found in a book a few years ago and have longed to visit ever since. Next year in Achill!

I hope you have a joyous holiday... I'm on my way to watch rugby with my daughter.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

See why we hate the French? They stole 'your' 6 Nations title! Hoz

Thom said...

Arrrrggghhhhhh!

Anonymous said...

It was SOOO painful!!!

Anonymous said...

Ireland!
Ireland!
Together standing tall...

Shoulder!
To shoulder!
We answer Irelands call...

We answer Irelands call!!!

Anonymous said...

"You tried your best, and you failed. The lesson is...never try"

- your Greatest American

Thom said...

Well if you can say the men on that feel were "trying" you weren't watching the match!

And who the hell said that anyway?

Anonymous said...

'field'??

Homer J Simpson said it, thats who, the 'Greatest ever American' as voted by the USA public (based on a 'GREATEST BRITON' vote we had a few years back... Churchill, Brunel, Shakespeare etc were in the final not sure who won).

But then you also voted in George W Bush. Twice!

Thom said...

Okay okay... pitch?

And WE did not vote Shrub "in" to anything!

Anonymous said...

field is fine. you didn't write field though you moron!

Thom said...

I'm gonna say it... I'm gonna say it... I'm.... ahhhhh forget it.

Thom said...

And one more time with "fielding"

Ireland!
Ireland!
Together standing tall...

Shoulder!
To shoulder!
We answer Ireland's call...

We answer Ireland's call!!!