Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Isn't It A Pity...


Billy Preston died today... He was one of those musicians who really mattered in my life. From his connections to The Beatles (music of which I was just putting into iTunes yesterday) to his on again off again Christian devotion, to his amazing performance in George Harrison's Concert Tour that I saw with my then girlfriend and soon to be bride in 1974. I will always remember his organ part (and his Jesus chant) during that show's mega-band performance of My Sweet Lord, a song he reprised at the Concert for George in 2003.

His version of Isn't It A Pity from that same show (played with Eric Clapton) seems the fitting tribute for him today.

Billy Preston played with such life and such passion that it made me want to live like he played.

No comments: