Thursday, June 01, 2006

This is the story of hurricane...

It's the first day of hurricane season, inauguration day for C. Ray, and the last day for me in New Orleans for the next month. It's a day of truly mixed feelings; on the one hand I am ready to get back to the world of things that work, get away from 95 degree heat, and into the cool clear ocean.

But... more than any other time that I have left New Orleans this year, it feels quite strange to be leaving at this point in time. It feels a lot like leaving back on August 28, heading off into some presumed form of safety while not really knowing what is going to occur. Last night's Wednesday Night Concert featured Cowboy Mouth playing the song "Home," a song that has sunk so deep into my soul over the last nine months that I can't hear the first strains without turning instantly to a puddle of tears.

There's another song off the same album (the recent releaase Voodoo Shoppe) that speaks to a whole other side of the same emotion, the connection I feel to this place and the fact that even as I leave, I know I'm coming back because... "there's nowhere else to go but the Avenue."

No comments: