Sunday, March 12, 2006

Colcannon

So the first parade of St. Patrick's 2006 is history and I got away with about 5 pounds of beads. I also caught 5 cabbages, 2 carrots, 1 large onion, 1 small potato, and 1 green bell pepper, otherwise known as DINNER!

The recipe for Colcannon above is quite good. I had to go buy more potatos and I used red ones (though Mick really is right about Yukon Gold being the best). I've sworn off red meat and liquor (but not fish, beer, or wine) for Lent so Corned Beef and Jameson Whiskey were both out (as was Irish Stew), but I love Colcannon, so I simply went home and cooked up a huge plate of it along with the carrots... and a couple o' pints of Guinness.

Fantastic! We're talking honest Irish food here... I've got plenty left over for tonight, and I've only cut into my first cabbage.

And by the way... the musical group of the same name is a truly wonderful Irish music group, well worth paying attention to. On their site you'll find links to some of their music as well as a whole slew of recipes from their bodhran player Mick Bolger.

No comments: