Sunday, March 26, 2006

Injuns Redux

I had such good luck last Sunday with my connection to Mardi Gras Indians at Washington and LaSalle, that I am going to return there (and to Hunter's Field downtown) to see if I can catch the Indians one final time this year.

"Super Sunday" as they call it, is really the last time that an authentic Mardi Gras Indian event occurs until next Mardi Gras. There will be Indians appearing in many venues at JazzFest and a lot of Indian groups will do ocncert events (The Wild Magnolias even tour the country and Europe pretty often), but after today it's really one of those kind of situations where tomorrow morning starts the planning for next year.

And that's my plan for the year as well. While Katrina had me worried that perhaps my Mardi Gras Indian story was washed away like so much storm debris, it now seems like there might be even more to it (and more opportunity to cover it) than before.

The day's perfect for it too. It's cool, crisp and clear. A more than pleasant 60-something degrees with a relatively low humidity. No rain in sight. It's a perfect day for music and dancing and feathers... Weatherwise at least, it's NOLA at its best.

No comments: