Friday, July 07, 2006

I Think You Made Your Point Now...

"You've even gone a bit too far to get the message home...".

I've been listening to these lyrics, from a song from Jesus Christ Superstar that showed up in the Broadway show (and subsequently in the movie) but not on the original recording, a lot over the last few weeks. As I wind down toward the one year anniversary of my move to New Orleans and my subsequent state of relational and residential displacement, I find myself returning to the zero point, altered, somewhat confused, substantially frustrated, but also personally expanded.

I am, for the next three months at least, residing once again in Petaluma (with regular excursions to my office/studio in San Francisco and occasional sojourns to The Crescent City and points beyond). Right at the moment I don't hold much hope for work and livlihood in New Orleans, and I find myself holding my breath each morning as I look at the daily report from the National Hurricane Center. It seems that the best option for me at this one year mark is to... literally... start over.

Or to use a Willy Ray Nagin phrase... to hit that "giant reset button."

I don't know what it means, but I'm hoping that the next few months of relatively settled and focused energy, energy I plan to devote directly to finding a new way to live and work in this new life that I've had tossed into my lap, will lead me back to a place where I really can start again. That's something I've needed to do for quite some time anyway.

Frankly... after the last year... I've had it... Could we start again please?

No comments: