Wednesday, July 26, 2006

No Direction Home...

I am sending this post from the Petaluma Public Library (great WiFi and good air-conditioning), where I just passed by a book on the shelf of new books; a book about Katrina.

The book is called "The Storm That Changed America" and while it's a nice title and all, I really don't think that it has any relevance to anything, because as far as I can tell in my year of meandering (and even in my most recent trip to the heart of the south) I don't see much CHANGE in America.

One of the things I DO see is the daily sense that comes up in one of the later chapters in the book. It talks about the "Katrina Diaspora" and titles the chapter, "No Direction Home." THAT... out of everything in the book... is exactly how I feel. I am not where I want to be, not where I am supposed to be, and despite all of the best efforts of my life for the past year, NOT WHERE I NEED TO BE. What I learned a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta, from a few other members of the disapora, is that I am certainly not alone in that reality. There are a lot of us, scattered all over the country, trying to get back to where we belong.

But the country... for the most part... has forgotten that we exist. The number of times I describe the CURRENT situation in New Orleans, to the collective blank stares of all those around me, has become almost boring in its repetetive predictability. This is OBVIOUSLY the same feeling almost anyone who has been in almost any disaster at almost anytime in history has shared... But that doesn't excuse it this time, in fact it calls us - as a national collective - to even greater account. This has happened enough! Damnit!

There's more I have to say about this... but you can find it here.

In the meantime... just... REMEMBER... It will very likely be YOU next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, how many blogs do you have? :op j/k

Please know that there are many of us aware at a distance that there has not been enough done along the Gulf Coast. I, for one, am amazed at how quickly a 3rd world country like Sri Lanka was able to fix itself up after the Tsunami compared to how long it's taking the richest nation in the world to fix a city and a few towns. Because of the lack of help and the massive amount of money that was donated, there are organizations that I don't trust anymore. My donations are going to the United Methodists (UMCOR) because I know they have mission teams down there every week helping people rebuild their homes. Actually the youth from my church went down there earlier this month and a friend who lives down there did me a favor and stopped by the church one night where they were staying and delivered treats for the kids.

You're absolutely right, though, that not enough people are aware of what's happening, or not happening in this case. There is so much tragedy in our world these days, I find that it's easier for people to ignore it all to protect themselves emotionally. Then there are people like me who think we have to take on every problem and get overwhelmed and exhausted, but know we're doing the right thing.

I hope you and your fellow "lost" folk get home soon. J.

Thom said...

well... I have three blogs, basically... this one for general reality based (more or less) rambling, washington's cousin for religio-philosophical-poltical ranting and theorizing on a fairly heady (and generally wordy) level, and butting head for the basic rant o de month sorta thing.... The point being that SOME people who like to read the adventures du jour are not all that interested in the rants (despite the fact that they get them anyway)... I also have one related to work I do with foodfetish and one I started about Katrina... but whatever I was goinng to put in that one seems to get dumped in one of the main three.

So now... Who the hell are you? I can't for the life of me figure THAT out.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, I think I like this "anonymous" thing. J.

Maybe I'll email you my true identity.