Thursday, February 02, 2006

Groundhog Day!

Well, Punxatawny Phil evidently saw his shadow this morning, and they made the big announcement that we'll have six more weeks of winter.

Frankly, I think that we should be using Northern California Groundhogs this morning because they sure aren't seein' their shadow outside MY window on Folsom Street.

Besides... what do we need with more winter anyway? After the last six months of incessant rain, I'm ready for a steady stream of sunshine in my life. Of course, winter ALWAYS lasts six weeks past Groundhog Day because it ends at the Spring Equinox on March 20th/21st, a day that falls in the middle of a week of transitions in my life (yes possums, it IS all about me... It's MY blog).

This March 20th marks the 30th anniversary of my wedding to my first (and only) wife, the mother of my dearest darling daughter. It also comes three days after St. Patrick's Day when, 18 years ago I first went out with my partner of 17 years; the woman I am no longer with, but who pops up in my dreams on a regular basis. The week marks the birthday of another lover in my life and seems to always roll around to something strange, and interesting, and not just a little bit terrifying.

Like Shakespeare's soothsayer told Caesar... Beware the Ides of March!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

clearly some of us were born in the wrong month or under the wrong sign...and you are living very far into the future if you are in March already!

Thom said...

Perhaps I am simply living even further into the past... in either case, it seems to me that Albert pretty much proved that one's perception of time is relative.