Saturday, February 25, 2006

Hermes Rising

Or... Bead Mania REALLY Hits!

Friday night was three parades. Hermes (known to the Romans as Mercury and the God of borders, messengers (communicators), doctors, dramatists and runners. Hermes was also the source for all the trickster myths from Coyote and Anansi, all the way down to Brer Rabbit. As such he has been the inspiration for my work and my various companies for going on 30 years. I am particularly fond of Hermes, and Friday night he was in full force at the heart of celebrations that were certainly appropriate to his honor.

In the stands on St. Charles Avenue, where we watched three parades (Krewe d'e tat and Morpheus followed closely behind Hermes) roll in about as many hours, I was joined by a female Hermetic force of bead mania. We are talking the EXPERT at acquiring the much coveted, and nearly worthless, objects. Of course, like any expert, this woman (I'll just call her the bead lady) has a system and a plan and she works them to full effect.

Being the neophyte that I am, I decided to wait, watch and put into practice... and I've got to say, the system worked pretty well!

Now if I can just do that for the REST of my life!

I think I'm going to ask Hermes for help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are really home and enjoying it!!!!!!!

Don@PetalumaFilms.com said...

Who's the weird guy with the ebard and the beads in his mouth...?

Thom said...

What!? You're dissin' my whiskers but you don't have a thing to say about my FABULOUS FEATHERS!?!?!