Thursday, May 11, 2006

20 Days & Counting

Well... it's just four days since the end of JazzFest and less than three weeks to Hurricane Season and the town is already folding up the fenders and tucking in its tail. The music's stilll playing down on Frenchman's Street, but even that is a little slower and quieter since last weekend's crowds disappeared back into the friendly skies.

Getting things done in New Orleans, especially in the summertime, is never an easy proposition... For good or ill, the town tends to run like wading through molasses (or perhaps a more appropriate metaphor would be sorgum). There are events scheduled throughout the summer, events intended to put a bold face on our civic reality, but underneath it all, what's really going on is basically... nothing.

There's an election in a week, but even that won't tell us much of anything before Thanksgiving.

Anyway you cut it, this is going to be a long hot summer, a waiting game for just about everyone involved. Sometime next fall.... late October maybe... we'll begin to see movement again and that will be the true telling of where The Crescent City REALLY stands. That will be when we find out what kind of battle we're REALLY in for.

Make no mistake... New Orleans is coming back. The questions are simply how long's it gonna take and when's it gonna start?

For me, coming to the end of my ninth month of semi-homeless bi-coastal meandering, it's really a question (at least on the short end) of how much I can get done and where the hell I'm going to do it. I've never been a really STABLE person... The one time I really tried for the house with the white picket fence, I failed miserably... so far beyond belief that I can't even pull up a ripe and amusing anecdote about it anymore. Nonetheless... the last year has added a dimension to that reality that I could never have conceptualized when I decided to launch out; an encounter from which I am still learning. I guess that's really the way it goes for most people, it's just that from the outside looking in it's harder to see.

ANY way you look at it, it's been quite a ride, but the roller coaster's just getting ready to crank up again. So here I stand, knees shaking, ticket in hand, ready - more or less - to make the leap.

Hopefully maintenance fixed the loose bolts over on pole number 10.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

which house is the 'white picket fence' in the video? hoz

Thom said...

Dana Street in Petaluma... though the picket fence wasn't actually white.

Anonymous said...

was english street the cross street or am i wrong house?

Thom said...

You're close... but wrong house. The Dana Street house (which is where I was before I moved to NOLA) was a block away from the house you're thinking of. THAT house really did have a white picket fence.

Anonymous said...

round round get around you get around

Anonymous said...

the failure was not your,
not probably,
certainly -

Thom said...

HEY! People need to start signing their posts!

Anonymous said...

beach boys paraphrase was from the hozmeister general. the other i dunno

Thom said...

ahhhh... now see I knew where the other one came from, but THAT one I missed. My bad... shoulda caught that.