Tuesday, May 23, 2006

And Now For Something Completely Different

A man who is not at peace with himself necessarily projects his interior fighting into the society of those he lives with and spreads a contagion of conflict all around him. Even when he tries to do good for others his efforts are hopeless, since he does not know how to do good to himself. In moments of wildest idealism he may take it into his head to make other people happy: and in so doing he will overwhelm them with his own unhappiness. He seeks to find himself somehow in the work of making others happy. Therefore he throws himself into the work. As a result he gets out of the work all he put into it: his own confusion, his own disintegration, his own unhappiness.

-Thomas Merton
No Man Is An Island (1955)

I found this quote in a little tiny book of meditations by Thomas Merton and it has pretty well discombobulated my reality for the moment (and hopefully for MORE than the moment). It would appear to be the diametrical opposite of the previous post... but then... maybe not.

In any case... if you want to read my reflections on the quote and what it seems to mean to me, I've put it on Butting Heads, so that those readers of this blog who are less than enthusiastic about reading 2,000 word tomes will not have to be subjected to my self-inflicted, self-involved ramblings (well... at leat no more than a few hundred words worth... Wordsworth?)

For you... I've left a song du jour... or you can just move along... nothing to see here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having read Butting Heads, I am wondering who yoy will choose to be your companions along this inner way. In my experience two things are true: nobody else can do it for you and you can't do it alone. Traveling mercies, cher. en

Anonymous said...

Having read Butt-Heads, can I suggest an Earl-style list of wrongdoings. You could even post it for all to see, not so we know how you wronged us (we already know that), but just how it relates to the other wrongs you've done. Or perhaps just to see if we make the list at all (or indeed how high up, though chronological might be fairer). Alternatively, you wanna do something for yourself? Same advice as always my friend, head for ocean beach and do more than just watch it. Those around you will benefit from this too, but ultimately, it's the most selfish experience you can have. Hoz

Thom said...

Both good bits from two of my oldest and dearest friends... Ain't no way I'm taking this journey without either of you! If I even attempted it, I'd be lost for sure.

It's interesting though... BOTH of you have come up with clear approaches that I have decided are BOTH absolutely necessary to maintaining my sanity, and truly touching on the self-peace that Merton refers to.

I'll be in California for the month of June and I definitely plan on getting wet (even more likely at Stinson's incredibly beautiful beach). I also plan on spending large amounts of time with the "oldests and dearests" as this all moves on.

As for the litany of wrongs... sorry, there's only SO MUCH openness and exposure I'm capable of dealing with (at least without the kind of quantities of alcohol I'm willing to imbibe presently).

Y'all will just have to use your imaginations on that one.

Besides... they'd ALL be at the top of the list