Saturday, October 29, 2005

Comin' Back... New Orleans Style

Halloween in New Orleans, like most other excuses to party in New Orleans, is NOT a one day (let alone a one night) event. The celebrations really started last night with Kermit Ruffins at Fat Harry's and a big party at Snug Harbor. What's a bit odd, is that I didn't go to either one. I dropped off at a friend's house to "rest up" and wound up staying for the night. As I calculate it I got about 10 hours sleep for the first time since I can remember.

NOW... I'm ready to spend that banked energy!

In about an hour the first day of VooDoo Fest begins out at Audobon Park. B.K. this festival was scheduled to take place all weekend and friends and family from California were planning on coming to see Billy Idol, Nine Inch Nails, and loads of other groups (including loads of New Orleans groups )but A.K. the fest was moved to Memphis. Now... it's been split. The first day (today) is happening in New Orleans, primarily as a free concert for rescue workers and residents. The second day is remaining (as rescheduled) in Memphis. Another great thing is that my friend Tom Morgan is going to be broadcasting the fest LIVE on WWOZ as an incredible symbol of the rebirth of THAT great organization. You can listen live at the link above and get a taste of the party.

In addition, this afternoon is the New Orleans BookFair, which I really want to make it to - at least for a while. Then... the Cabildo museum is reopening today with free admission and a special celebration concert at 6:00 pm featuring Rebirth Brass Band (who else!?).

I haven't even started on the rest of the weekend...
MOM's Halloween Ball tonight at the new Howlin' Wolf - THEME: "Hell or High Water"
VooDooFest (the real thing) all day Monday
Molly's Halloween Parade on Monday evening featuring Queen Katrina.

There's of course much more than that... but I'll have to report on it AFTER it happens.

For all those out there who still think that katrina killed Mardi Gras, just consider THIS schedule and project three months out...
Like I said... We're comin' back...

New Orleans style.

No comments: