Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The New Normal

It's been four days since my last posting here and I woke up this morning feeling an odd sense of responsibility to get something up so that I give the lovely people who care enough about me to read this load of dung some kind of fodder for your trouble.

A lot has happened in those four days and at the same time nothing has happened.

This past weekend I traveled into The City to attend The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, the height of which came at the end of the day on Sunday when Emmylou Harris and Buddy Miller were joined onstage by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings after a set that covered the whole range of Emmylou's music, and more. The weekend also included incredible sets by Rodney Crowell, Roseanne Cash, Guy Clark, Jimmie Dale Gilmore and others spread out over 5 stages and two days, all FOR FREE.

The vibe of the people, the widely ranging music and the massive audience spread across the entire western end of Golden Gate Park made it feel a lot like Jazz Fest in New Orleans. Sucking up some damn good crawfish etouffee didn't hurt either. It wasn't exactly home, but it was a pretty good substitute considering the circumstances.

I'll have some musical postings and some "sound-seeing" from the fest coming up soon... Hopefully later today.

Late on Sunday I got an email from a friend of mine who has a recording studio in San Francisco. We had met up a week earlier (for the first time in about ten years) and we discussed the possibility of my setting up an office next to his studio that would help to serve as a base of operations while I try to figure out the rest of my life. The email he sent on Sunday was to tell me that the space was unexpectedly available and to ask if I was still interested. I told him that I was, and so it seems that at least part of my confusion has been at least partially (and temporarily) settled.

This is what Aaron Brown of CNN likes to call "the new normal." I've still got much to do and I've got to get back on the road shortly, but the last few days have at least begun to give me a handle on sanity again. As I talk to, and receive email from, friends from New Orleans this seems to be happening all over. It's been a month since we left The Crescent City, and while things are still confusing, they also seem to be settling out... more or less.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Customer feedback: I preferred doing the reading when you were enjoying doing the writing. This "piece of dung" mentality isn't working for me. You're a good writer, now quit yer bitchin and write because you want to, not because you have to.

Thom said...

Yes mam...