Saturday, October 15, 2005

Shipwrecked At The Stable Door

It's morning again... And in the spirit of the first post yesterday, I am ready to start making it all over again today.

This song by Bruce Cockburn feels particularly appropriate to my curent situation (though in all honesty this song has always felt appropriate to WHATEVER situation I have been in at the time, so you are free to infer whatever you wish about the general state of my existence from the evidence presented). He sings pretty fast on this one, so you may want the lyrics.

One of the reasons that I like this song so much is because Cockburn uses a lyrical device that he uses often, a device that clearly reveals a perspective on the human condition that I happen to share. It basically amounts to the simple sense that as part of living we are given the greatest gift and the greatest curse. Humans are amazing and terrible, lovely and horrid, blessed and cursed. The implied question is "so what are ya gonna do with what you have?"

It's from Bruce's highly politicized album of the early 90s Big Circumstance,an album that is significant to me because it explores the human dilemma through a whole litany of places and events (many of which I had been to and involved with) all the while holding close to the magical mixture of good and evil, angel and beast, that Bruce has always touched on so well.

I have much to do today. I am determined to finally get a new start on Blues Routes, so expect a show before the end of the day. I also plan on releasing a new FoodFetish podcast taken from some of my weekend adventures during the last month in Northern California. I have some web work to do for clients and some writing I really want to get after (but then that's a perpetual problem so it probably doesn't count). Lot's to do today as I get ready to head back home.

It's been seven weeks since that angry lady swept into my town and sent me off on this journey. It's time for things to get back to some sense of normal.

"I've got this thing in my heart I must give you today... It only lives when you give it away."

No comments: