Thursday, September 08, 2005

Charmaine Needs A Good Song

Charmaine Neville - daughter of Neville Brother, Charles - is one of my absolute favorite musicians from The Crescent City. I first saw her (when I didn't know who she was) at Zulu Fest down by the river on Lundi Gras. Since that time, so many years ago, I have seen her over and over again at Snug Harbor on a Monday night, in Jackson Square during French Quarter Fest, and on the big stage (both alone and with her dad and uncles) at Jazz Fest. She is always exciting, and above all, she is always joyous. A part of every set I've seen (except the one at Snug Harbor, which is a night club) has included a special section of songs and participation by children. She is truly one of the angels of the world; one of the people who shows you what it really means to be a human being.

This story came across the computer screen this morning and it just broke my heart. Frankly, I don't even want to post it, but I think it's really important for the people outside the New Orleans community to get a hint of the personal stories that are actually out there.

Interviewed on NBC last weekend, Harry Connick talked about seeing Charmaine break into and commandeer an RTA bus to transport a group of aged and injured people to safety. That was a hopeful joyous moment. Then, just a couple of days ago, I heard of her more harrowing and horrible experiences during those dark hellish days before that rescue when people in The Crescent City were left on their own and dropped off the chart of American Daily Reality. That was bad enough, but then this morning I got the full report, which you can read here. It even came with a link to a video clip from WAFB in Baton Rouge where she discusses everything that happened to her with a priest in the hospital where she was taken. You'll need windows media player and it's particularly difficult to watch (at least it was for me), but it's worth it. It will help you see the broken heart of New Orleans in the eyes and voice of one of her greatest talents and most wonderful people.

Right now... Charmaine, who has given so many "good songs" to so many people, needs a good song of her own (in case you want to go get it, the song comes off Charmaine's album "It's About Time" which is available in all sorts of places including iTunes).

Oh, Charmaine... I am so sorry.

No comments: