Thursday, January 12, 2006

Deep In the City of the Saints and Fools

The first thing I noticed this morning - after I got up, made coffee and started up the computer - was a sound I haven't heard in almost a month... Helicopters.

Bruce Cockburn's morning greeting to the Big Easy is particularly appropriate to my feelings of being home. I've already begun to "study the faces and study the cars" in the hope of finding out bits of information as to how things stand three weeks after I last left. After an incredibly long day of travel (and a nearly four hour layover in Atlanta), I still got out of the taxi at close to midnight, opened the apartment door and turned on the late night news so I could see what you can't find out ANYWHERE else in the country (as far as I can tell). Dubya's in town today as well. I thought that was kind of funny, but hopefully his showing up will put a renewed focus on the issues (for however briefly)in the country as a whole.

I've been told by more than one person, in more than one place, that "Katrina is over." Well... in New Orleans, Katrina ain't over baby!

Like the lyric in the song, "I've got this thing in my heart, I must give it today."

Time... again... to go to work.

No comments: