Sunday, January 01, 2006

Kissing Wendy Goodbye...



The musical theme of my life for the past year is best described in the Tom Petty song (sung here by Melissa Etheridge) Refugee. Long before Katrina blew me into honest to God refugee status for four months, I was living in that mode and that mindset. I HAD been living in that mindset for a long time. There have been many times in the last few months where, with that weird feeling one gets after a string of bad luck, I had been feeling like I had brought it all on myself. Even the last two weeks of non-stop rain in Northern California were beginning to feel like my fault. But... last night, when it was supposed to rain, it was a crystal clear night, and while foggy this morning (it IS San Francisco after all), it isn't raining (at least not yet) and I am choosing to take that as a sign.

So I've got a new theme song for this new year... also by Melissa Etheridge; one with a much more positive spin on things. And I've decided to adopt as my litany, and my motto, for the coming year, this quote that seems to have been dogging me for the last month or so. I don't know what galaxy it blew in from, but frankly, I'm planning on letting it stay.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a beer in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo.......What a Ride!!!'"

So... you can kiss my ass Wendy... I'm going to the beach!

No comments: