Saturday, January 28, 2006

One Thing

SO... first of all... I started this post about a half an hour ago, and I almost perfected it... kinda like life.

THEN, I got distracted and I lost my focus and I misplaced my plan.

Kinda like life.

But I remember something that I wanted to say...

It all comes from the fact that I was standing at the big Zinfandel soiree, talking to a guy who makes really great Zin in Lodi, when a couple walked up next to me and made the comment... "We're from New Orleans and we brought a whole group with us."

It was over... Lodi Guy was Chopped Liver... I turned from him to my newly discovered family (and I don't do that easily.. I've spent too much of my life cultivating my cool professional, sophisticated, cultural persona).

You're from New Orleans???

Yeah you right.... Everything in the room - and it was a pretty nice room - kind of disappeared.

Only ONE THING mattered; these were folks from home.

I've searched for that one thing most of my life, and I have been frustrated by its completely frivolous behavior.

But I'm starting to get it... When my heart jumps and my mind races and I know who my people are... I don't know if I've earned my citizenship, but I know where my heart belongs.

No comments: