Thursday, January 19, 2006

Real Preaching and Real Writing

In my washington's cousin blog yesterday, I provided a link to a snippet from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech in which he demonstrates a much better handle on preaching and humanity than did Mayor Nagin on Monday. This morning I was listening to the podcast of the sermon from Epiphany Sunday that was delivered a week and a half ago by the Dean of Grace Cathedral, Alan Jones. In the sermon he speaks about his participation in The Genographic Project an exceptionally intriguing idea that I had not heard about before.

Jones speaks with beautiful eloquence of the kind of human commonality we all need, and in so doing he demonstrates, like Dr. King, what preaching is really all about.

Meanwhile, back in New Orleans, columnist Chris Rose jumped on Mayor Wonka with a far more humorous take on the God and King dialogue than my rather more acerbic piece. It's a good and entertaining take on the event, and probably demonstrates better than most things that what we all really need right now is a good laugh.

No comments: