Thursday, August 11, 2005

Beer... Coffee... and WiFi

Sitting in the CC's (Community Coffee) shop at the corner of Magazine and Jefferson. I came to this specific spot because the WiFi here (like the WiFi at Molly's) allows me to more easily send out email than my connection at Pat's house.

And this brings me to a major point that I want to advocate... FREE WiFi for the masses!

Sure there are plenty of places, Starbucks, McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, etc. that offer "WiFi Hotspots" for people who have contracted with other services. Frankly those places aren't Hot Spots at all in my opinion. They are perhaps more appropriately called "Warm Spots." Sure there's connectivity, but only if you have put it together for yourself. A true "Hot Spot" would have connectivity available to all.

In San Francisco, Anchor Free has created a number of spots in the city where you can pick up WiFi for free. In those neighborhoods you can sit in any cafe, a park bench, yor house, or even your car and connect. Union Square has WiFi, and several pubs and coffee shops (not to mention hotel lobbies) offer the service. One of my favorite spots is Marin Brewing Company. Located halfway between The City and where I used to live in Petaluma, I could always stop and grab a beer, a cup of clam chowder and some free connectivity at lunch time. MBC got a lot of extra business from me just because they had that line. Now, from a strictly business standpoint, multiply that times all the people who want/need connectivity and who also need to eat (or drink) and you've got quite an economic engine.

In New Orleans, I've already written about Molly's. In addition, several (though not all) CC's coffeehouses have Free WiFi which gives me yet another reason NOT to go to Starbucks in the morning. I have also found connectivity at a couple of restaurants. In fact, two years ago I found WiFi in a restaurant in the Warehouse District (I'll have to check and see if it's still there) long before I found it in most places in the Bay Area. For a town that is not exactly "wired," The Big Easy has definitely got a handle on internet egalitarianism.

So there's my teechno-nerd diatribe for the day.

Free the laptop! WiFi for All!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments: