Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Big Bang Theory

Sitting at Thirsty Bear on Howard Street in San Francisco.

Jen has just left to go back to her law office job and I am sitting alone at the little table where we just finished eating.

I had Shrimp and garlic and she had a wild mushroom torte with a slightly sweet corn meal crust and a balsamic something (also slightly sweet) sauce. A small green salad completed her meal. We split a tapas plate of artisinal (what a completely ridiculous word!) cheeses on toast (they call it crostini, but it's still toast).

Jen had to go back to work quickly so I promised to pick her up after work and drive her home. I will leave her some of the things I am not taking with me to New Orleans (at least on this first trip), but the real reason I'm doing that is because I want one more chance to see her before I leave town.

My daughter is the light of my life. She has been that light for every moment of her life from the first instant I saw her - not minute old - to just a moment ago, a young woman on her way back to work at an office in downtown San Francisco, older than her mother was when she took the same sort of job. Her basic existence makes me smile, and – quite unjustifiably, since I had very little to do with it – makes me proud.

Smarter… wiser… better than her mother, or her father, was at that time. Well, at least better than I was; I will refrain from speaking for Jean.

Evolution unfolding right before my eyes.

George Bush can advocate the idiotic concept of "intelligent design" as a way of educating the children of America, but it only takes a small amount of attention to see that the concept of evolution is in operation today just as it has been in operation for so many millions of years.

Despite horrible odds and a ridiculous lack of support from the previous generation (in Jennifer's case, that would be me), every generation improves upon the last. This is evolution happening right before our eyes.

This is "intelligent design."

As my dad the astronomer always used to say… "God said let there be light and there was a BIG BANG."

My daughter, my heart… is a pretty big bang.

No comments: