Saturday, August 13, 2005

Man About Town

As I was leaving the desk, my subconscious pool of newspaper memories was jabbed by a needle pin rememberance of the guy who virtually invented the "three dot" journalistic form...



I think Herb would have enjoyed the blog form. I remember reading his daily comments on the night before every morning over a cup of coffee and an apple fritter 28 years ago when I first moved to SF (when I was still young enuogh to start my day with a cup of coffee and an apple fritter without fear of dying).

Some years ago, when Herb died, I joined thousands of San Franciscans at Grace Cathedral (including Robin Williams who proved quite an interesting and hilarious eulogist, even in that big somber place). Afterward the memorial, large numbers of us crowded into Moose's in North Beach, one of Herb's old hangouts, to drink vodka martinis and think wistfully of a light-hearted, deeply talented, city loving man.

If you don't know Herb, you can read some of his old columns here. If you already know Herb, you might want to read them anyway and remember the true father of blogging.

No comments: