Friday, August 05, 2005

Too Much Stuff

It's been a long day.

In just over three hours I leave for the airport and then another three hour wait for my flight.

In the meantime, I spent the day finishing projects and getting rid of large piles of crap.

What a joke. Since I am leaving my car at a friend's house, I got a bit of a reprieve from the juggernaut of detritus. I actually came to a point where I was unable to throw away any more stuff. Partially, that's because I don't have any more places to dump it on such short notice. Partially it's because I am actually experiencing some sort of disconnection fatigue. When you start dumping everything that you have acquired over 50 years of life (and I have acquired a rather limited amount of stuff compared to some people I know) it literally becomes too much of a task to complete, at least in one fell swoop, at least for me.

So, I now have a 1989 Camry that is serving as the repository for all the stuff (I was going to call it "junk" but that only describes some of it) I really couldn't bring myself to get rid of, and I have decided that whatever else happens, I will have to return to Petaluma sometime in the relatively near future to dispose of the remaining material possesions of my less than fully realized emancipation.

But then maybe that's the point. Perhaps our stuff keeps us anchored to the places we might actually get away from if we were able to relieve ourselves of the burden of so much stuff.

No comments: