Monday, August 08, 2005

A Pig in Slop!

This is going to be a quick post this morning because I have much to do today and already the day seems like it's running ahead of me. That's kind of an interesting experience in and of itself in a town that moves about as slowly as it is possible to move. The fact is, it's simply too damned hot to move too fast!

After actually attempting to get my email system running better (something that it seemed truly ridiculous to wasted time on on a beautiful Sunday with music playing nearby) I finally got out to the last day of SatchmoFest for the afternoon.

I started with Irvin Mayfield's incredible lecture on Louis and the way he played the music. As a trumpet player myself, I have always had an "appreciation" for Louis Armstrong, but I really can't say that I paid the kind of attention to him that I now - after Irvin's lecture/demo and listening experience - know I should have given to him and which I absolutely know that I will be giving in the immediate near future.

This was followed by a reprise of Friday night's experince of hearing and seeing Maurice Brown who just flat out knocks my socks off. You can count on the fact that there will be more on him coming out of this weblog, and soon.

Finally, Kermit Ruffins, who I have loved since the first time I heard him, came out on the main stage with his band the Barbecue Swingers. They set up a rip roarin' closing session that ended with a trumpet blow out from a whole collection of trumpeters including kids from New Orleans schools,Yoshio Tayama - a trumpeter from Japan with a spot on Satchmo impersonation - and, the by now ubiquitous, Maurice Brown.

When the kids came up to the mics to solo and blew their lips off with all the heart you can imagine and when the whole band - literally and figuratively - took the roof off the stage, I found myself standing their with tears running down my cheeks and an uncontrollable smile on my face in delight and astonishment that this is now MY HOME!

I guess I'm going to have to pick up my trumpet again.

No comments: