Sunday, August 14, 2005

It's Too Early in the Morning for Music This Good!

One of the first things that Pat Jolly asked me to do for her in exchange for letting me have the run of her house for a month, was to take her mom on Sunday to the Zydecajun Brunch at Ye Olde College Inn. She gave me an out by following up the request with a, "I'm sure I can get someone else to take her if you don't want to go," but I'm pretty much game for anything at least once (and usually twice) and I volunteered most enthusiastically.

So after wistfully wending my way through several versions of "Is you is or is you ain't my baby" (in the interest of an equality of perspectives, here's a woman's take on it from Mrs. Declan McManus) I broke away from my little corner of the blogosphere, got dressed and tripped downstairs to check in with Honey - who was nearly ready and thoroughly raring to go - and head out to brunch.

What a gas! Music for three hours (from 10:00 - 1:00) was provided by SunPie Barnes and the Sunspots and we had the perfect corner table. My date was even greeted from the bandstand by the star with a cheerful, "Mornin' Ms. Jolly." Honey got a kick out of that and I got a kick out of the nearly three full hours of music that followed, a rockin' Cajun pastiche of standards and originals that were played skillfully and delightfully and, what is most amazing, at a ridiculously early hour on Sunday morning.

As for the food... Terrific! I had Grillades & Grits and though I had no idea what I was actually getting myself into (like I said, I'll try just about anything once) I was delightfully satisfied with a huge plate of steak, grits and an incredible abundance of savory gravy.

Great Music... Great Food... Great Coffee, even a killer Bloody Mary... all before noon on Sunday?

Yeah U Right.

No comments: